The Server Analyst I monitors, maintains, and administers server systems within the a data centre and virtual environment. The Server Analyst will respond to day to day requests helping to resolve a variety of complex issues as well as apply their knowledge and expertise to longer term applications related projects. Troubleshooting a complex system of servers, back up systems acting as an escalation point for the help desk.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors server systems (physical infrastructure and virtual) to ensure that the applications are functioning effectively, identifying issues or problems that need to be addressed.
- Installation, provisioning, system administration, monitoring and maintenance of a wide range of server types including storage and back up systems.
- Troubleshoots complex issues acting as an escalation point for service desk in terms of issues related to servers, storage, back-up systems and related third party systems processes and equipment functionality within the data centre environment.
- Assesses, plans and tests server system software and hardware, making recommendation for server, storage and backup systems.
- Troubleshoots server related issues by acting as an escalation point for service desk technicians, resolving issues related to servers, storage systems, back-ups, operating systems and other third-party systems and applications.
- Configures, develops and customize servers to meet the needs of the system.
- Responding to requests, issues and maintenance requirements identified through internal ticketing system.
- Planning, processing and applying server upgrades, patches and system adjustments including scheduling and prioritizing upgrades, more complex solutions to ensure that other related systems are not impacted by adjustments.
- Maintains all technical documentation related to application servers.
- Communicating with vendors to identify specific solutions, including coordinating efforts so that systems that span multiple vendors are integrated and operate effectively including liaising with client groups, operational staff, venders to resolve system issues.
- Identify issues related to system security, referring the issue to appropriate area
- Maintains documentation of tickets and maintenance as required.
- Assists in the technical design, integration, testing of servers, making recommendations related to cost items required to resolve a specific problem or issue.
- Trains users and cross trains co-workers on applications systems used within University, including new colleagues or individuals for other areas within IT.
- Creates support documentation maintenance and configuration changes.
- Maintains professional knowledge and currency in related technologies through engaging in learning opportunities both formal and informal including researching emerging technologies and standards, demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Researches emerging best practices and technologies related to server systems.
- Communicates in a respectful and professional manner with all aspects of the department, University community and related vendor partners.
- Collaborate effectively as a team member, including sharing information, cross training and cooperation.
- Deploys change management best practices related to the coordination of upgrades, system improvements and release management.
- Participates in committees and project teams as required.
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
- Diploma in Computer Information Systems or related technical field
- Minimum of Three (3) years of experience in with enterprise level serves and data centres with an additional one (1) year of experience administering Microsoft Windows Servers, virtualization and data back-up systems
- Proven ability to troubleshoot Microsoft Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Technical certifications related to Microsoft and related technology is required
- Must have basic understanding of server architecture types and characteristics
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Provides positive and proactive communications and customer service to users, vendors and other key stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development
- Job duties may be rescheduled on short or limited notice due to IT emergencies
- Working at any of UFV’s campus locations may be required
The University of the Fraser Valley is located on the unceded (ancestral) territory of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. We express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in S’olh Temexw (Our World; Our Land). In all that we do, UFV strives to support and honour the Stó:lo peoples goals of self-determination and well-being on these lands. A commitment to Indigenization and Reconciliation is core to our institutional Vision and our Education Plan. This commitment includes the goal of centring Indigenous ways of knowing throughout our organization, recognizing our responsibilities to community, and a multi-year plan to increase the number of Indigenous faculty, staff, and administrators working at UFV.
UFV has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.