The Office of the CIO (OCIO) comprises the IT Services (ITS) and Business Transformation Office (BTO). The unit is experiencing a period of exciting transformation and growth with the goal of improving the technology experience and service delivery to UFV’s students, faculty, and staff.
Reporting to the Service Desk Team Lead, the Service Desk Analyst 1 (SDA1) provides first point of contact support including, assessment, investigation, diagnosis and resolution for incidents and service requests for all services provided by ITS. The SDA1 provides high caliber customer service and supports users both remotely and in person to diagnose and resolve problems relating to accessing and using the UFV network. The UFV network includes, but is not limited to, printing, telephony, using UFV applications, audio-visual systems, software/hardware in labs and classrooms and client computing devices.
The SDA1 role is responsible for ensuring client requirements are met in terms of communication, documentation, prioritization, escalation and resolution of incidents as well as the fulfillment of service requests following established procedures. This includes escalation of incidents when considered appropriate and necessary to maintain SLA expectations. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as providing in-person, hands-on support at the Service Desk.
Please note this position may be required to work evening and weekend hours and/or work at any UFV campus based on operational needs. This position will also perform other related duties as assigned
IT SERVICE DESK OPERATIONS:
• Provide first contact support of incoming requests to the service desk via telephone, ITSM portal, email, and chat to ensure courteous, timely, and effective resolution of end-user incidents.
• Fulfill standard service requests following procedural documentation
• Gathers sufficient information to diagnose and categorize the problem
• Prioritize incidents and service requests according to defined processes to meet defined SLAs
• When required, escalates incidents with accurate documentation and service requests to desk side support (Tier 2) or technical\systems support teams for more complex problems (Tier 3).
• Research solutions through internal and external knowledgebase as needed.
• Test fixes to ensure an incident has been adequately resolved.
• Installs and supports various hardware, software, printers, telephones and other devices such as smartphones/tablets for staff, faculty, and students
• Sets up and install new computer systems according to established standards and ensures prompt return of old equipment
• Perform hands-on fixes at the Service Desk when remote tools are not appropriate, including hardware repairs, delivery of peripherals, or other fixes as determined
• Maintains secure configurations on all laptops and desktops according to strict security standards
• Ensures operational continuity and prevents data loss on behalf of users
• Communicates effectively with users and colleagues to expedite problem resolution and ensures incidents are resolved through adequate follow-up
• Provides technical advice, guidance, demonstration and support in the use and access to technology, including the use of computer software, hardware and tools
• Maintains accurate and complete documentation of calls received and tracks activities with applicable tracking tools
• Creates documentation for Service Desk systems and procedures and recommends changes to improve productivity and efficiency of the service desk process as appropriate
• Provides technical guidance to more junior staff including auxiliary and student co-op placements
• Participates in or undertakes project related tasks when appropriate
• Maintains current knowledge of UFV’s hardware and software, application functionality and the high level architecture of UFV’s technical environment
• Contribute to technician knowledgebase as needed
• Reinforce SLAs to manage end-user expectations
• Provide suggestions for continual improvement of Service Desk operations
• Performs other duties as required to deliver exceptional service and to support UFV’s goals
• Alert management to emerging trends in incidents
• Provides support as required for classroom technologies
ACQUISITION & DEPLOYMENT:
• Deploy pre-packaged software using distribution tools and processes as requested by end users
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and courses; reviewing professional publications; and establishing personal networks.
• Assesses new systems and methodologies
• Attend workshops, training and conferences
• Monitor new products and upgrades
• Diploma in Information Technology or related discipline from an accredited post-secondary, and one year related experience supporting a variety of technology such as desktops (Windows / Mac), audio-visual equipment, printers, infrastructure (DNS, networking, applications, software and associated peripheral equipment), or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
• Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) certification an asset
• Help Desk Institute (HDI) certification an asset
• Experience working within a Service Desk ITSM or ticketing tool
• Experience providing user support in a Microsoft Active Directory environment
• Experience with the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and upgrade of computer operating systems, hardware, software and peripherals
• Experience providing support using remote tools over telephone, chat or email
• Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills, and conflict resolution skills
• Excellent organizational, analytical reasoning and problem solving skills
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Detail oriented, able to approach problems logically
• Ability to work independently and within a team environment
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive data using discretion
• Proficiency in the use of remote desktop management and support tools
• Ability to arrange suitable transportation when travelling to work at other locations
The University of the Fraser Valley is located on the unceded (ancestral) territory of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. We express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in S’olh Temexw (Our World; Our Land). In all that we do, UFV strives to support and honour the Stó:lo peoples goals of self-determination and well-being on these lands. A commitment to Indigenization and Reconciliation is core to our institutional Vision and our Education Plan. This commitment includes the goal of centring Indigenous ways of knowing throughout our organization, recognizing our responsibilities to community, and a multi-year plan to increase the number of Indigenous faculty, staff, and administrators working at UFV.
UFV has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check and/ or a verification of their education credentials.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
#42 - Apply Digital - Define Yourself as a Job Candidate