At First Student, the Area Safety Manager (ASM) supports the safety of designated locations for all operational, facility and shop activities within the geographic area. The ASM alongside the Area General Manager ensures that division safety initiatives and processes and embedded into the area operations and monitors adherence to strategic and program initiatives. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and company policy.This position will be covering the Manitoba to British Columbia.Area Safety Manager Responsibilities:
Area Safety Manager Experience and Skills Required:
- Perform location Safety Wellness Checks inspections and safety reviews regularly.
- Identifies underperforming locations to established targets, perform analysis and work with location team to develop, recommend, and implement continuous improvement processes.
- Conduct comprehensive incident investigations for all serious events. Assists to develop actions and ensures lessons learned are communicated across the company.
- Share best practices and innovative approaches for problem solving.
- Provide support on claims management and in litigation. Complete Root Cause Analysis with operations and maintenance as required.
- Work closely with the workers' compensation third-party administrator to proactively manage claims.
- Has direct responsibility to ensure proper driving trainer staffing levels. Work closely with operations and HR to identify trainer needs and effectively administer driver onboarding.
- Assist locations to determine and implement proper remedial actions for safety events and review disciplinary actions with HR and Operations.
- Multiple location oversight to guide locations on compliance with First Student policies and procedures, as well as applicable laws and regulations, provide visibility of location compliance scores to regional and senior team.
- Prepare monthly reports and safety performance analysis for locations. Identify trends and corrective actions and communicate to management team.
- Assess location safety performance by utilizing Daily Dispatch, Driver Mobile Manager, and other applicable tools.
- In partnership with LM, will participate in the recruiting process for selection and on-boarding of new LSM's.
- Provide safety training for new members of the team competencies and skills and support Regional train the trainer workshops.
- Supplements the site safety review process by conducting safety audits and works with management to properly close Site Safety Review actions.
- ASM manages the BeSafe process, including Safety Leadership course delivery, identifying and onboarding BeSafe Coaches and monitor debrief quality.
- Provides technical oversight to the LSM, as needed, while the requests from LM's will be prioritized and in partnership with the ASM to support the Operations and Safety function
- Verification of location compliance with PDDP, EDTP, Non- Conforming Vehicles standards and conduct quality assurance by auditing elements of training programs being conducted at a location level. Ensures that all Training Standards are being carried per Company guidelines.
- Support the execution of kickoff/safety meetings by working closely with location staff.
- Other responsibilities as requested or required.
- A minimum of 5 years in Occupational Health and Safety
- College/University certificate/degree in Occupational Health and Safety (is an asset)
- OSHA 10-hr, safety/transportation certifications, etc..
- Experience in Safety/ Transportation an asset
- Strong commitment to Safety
- Demonstrate leadership, decision-making and team building skills
- Strong proficiency in computer literacy essential with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Experience with other software such as timekeeping and payroll systems is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with others in a team setting
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and provide leadership
- Collision Investigation training an asset
- State/Provincial Instructor Certification in at least one of the States/Provincial in the Region
- Travel required at least 80% of the time
First Student's commitment to putting our customers first, dedication to safety, and an ambition to deliver dependable transportation makes for a working environment you'll love. As a huge company with 120,000 staff and over 2.5 billion customers worldwide, you'll also enjoy security, a brilliant future, and excellent training.
Apply today to join our team!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We encourage applications from women, persons with a disability, Indigenous peoples and members of a visible minority. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all. First is committed to providing reasonable accommodation at all stages of the hiring process and encourage all applicants who may require such accommodation to let us know.
Management and Executive