Location: Pilot Butte , SK Position: Casual Posting Closing Date: November 29, 2021
The Educational Assistant provides educational support to vulnerable persons with complex needs, behavioural issues, developmental disabilities, mental health disorders, and/or other related issues. The Educational Assistant provides supervision, academic support, care, and role-modelling to students in a classroom environment, guiding educational routines while implementing behavioural and life skill strategies. The Educational Assistant works with a teacher to provide individualized education plans to each student, assisting the students in meeting their educational goals. Qualifications Education and Professional Certification
- Completion of a high school diploma.
- An educational assistant or youth care worker certificate or diploma, or certificate, diploma, or degree in a related field of study is an asset.
Skills and Characteristics
- Up to one (1) year of experience working with children, youth, and/or adults with behavioural, cognitive, mental health, and/or developmental challenges.
- Experience as an educational assistant, job coach, or youth care worker is an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities Services
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to form genuine relationships and professional working alliances with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead through motivation, role-modelling, and support.
- Outgoing personality with interests that can be used to engage students (i.e. outdoors, arts, sports, etc.).
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Emotional competence and self awareness.
- Ability to display empathy, patience, and understanding in day-to-day interactions.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to set clear, attainable goals and meet individual and program objectives.
- Ability to adapt to new situations.
- Understands budget and allocation of resources.
- Open to continuous education and learning and development opportunities.
- Basic computer proficiency.
- Provide supervision, care, and support to vulnerable persons with complex needs, behavioural issues, developmental disabilities, mental health disorders, and/or other related issues.
- Supervise and engage with students in a safe and structured environment.
- Participate in planning and programming in collaboration with the teacher.
- Assist in the implementation of individualized education plans and programming.
- Monitor and guide student's behaviour and educational progress.
- Assist the students in achieving their educational goals.
- Communicate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Resolve conflicts and respond to crisis situations in a calm and patient manner. Identify potential triggers, recognize escalating behaviours, and de-escalate the situation safely and effectively.
- Administer medications to students when required.
- Transport students as required.
- Document all incidents and updates such as; critical incidents, medication administration, and any other classroom or student updates. Complete reports and documentation clearly, accurately, and in a timely manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Management of Resources
- Provide direction, guidance, and mentorship to new employees, potential employees, practicum students, and volunteers.
- Display positive role modelling, agency values, and fairness.
- Collaborate with and communicate to the multidisciplinary team when required.
- In the absence of the teacher, assume the roles and responsibilities of the teacher (i.e. attendance, budget, etc.).
- Submit receipts and reconcile expenses for teacher approved expenditures.
- Ensure mileage log is completed accurately when agency vehicle is used.
- Ensure care, cleanliness, and maintenance of assigned assets and resources including; building(s), vehicles(s), furnishings, and equipment.
- Maintain, promote, and reinforce safe work habits, practices, and procedures.
- Adhere to written or verbal agency and government regulations, policies, practices, and instructions.
The incumbent is responsible for completing all mandatory training requirements for the position as per agency policy and guidelines.
Employees must hold a class five (5) novice two (2) or higher drivers license and be eligible for coverage under our commercial auto insurance policy.
In accordance with the agency's COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Policy, all new employees are required to be fully vaccinated. If you are the successful candidate, you will be required to provide proof of COVID vaccination status.
Wage range: $22.20 to $28.69 per hour. If you have any question, please contact Ian MacLellan @306-781-1822.