Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We're always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role:
Amazon Interactive Video Service (IVS) is an AWS service that allows developers to easily use the low-latency highly-distributed live video platform that powers Twitch in their own applications. The Video Clients team is hiring an Engineering Manager to build a new video playback team focused on adapting the IVS web video player to meet the needs of Twitch's Living Room platforms-streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs. You will build support for playback of live, video on-demand, and digital rights management (DRM) protected content on these platforms, and your team's contributions will impact not only Twitch, but IVS customers and their audiences as well.
You will experience the best of both worlds while working on a brand new AWS service at Twitch-you will be immersed in Twitch's creator-first culture and enjoy our perks while having access to the resources of a growing business. Your work will improve Twitch, the largest live video entertainment platform in the world with over 1 trillion minutes of content watched in 2020, and help set the direction of a rapidly evolving AWS service.
The Video Clients team has the highest visibility within Twitch's video organization and delivering high-quality experiences on Living Room platforms is essential for Twitch's future. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager of Video Clients and collaborate directly with senior leadership in multiple organizations, and your work will define how Twitch should internally consume the IVS service.
This role can be located in San Francisco, CA or Vancouver, BC.
- Build a team to support web-based video playback of live, video on-demand, and DRM-protected content on Living Room devices (streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs)
- Work with external device manufacturers and browser vendors, and internal Twitch product and video engineering teams to navigate the complexities of building live video support for fragmented ecosystems
- Provide high-level architectural direction to your team to sustain engineering and operational excellence
- Make data-driven decisions to balance product requirements with engineering realities
- 3+ years of engineering management experience
- 5+ years of technical experience building reliable and well-tested web applications or libraries for Living Room devices
- Experience building a remote-friendly team from the ground up
- Customer obsession and focus on delivering high-quality software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- A bias for automation over manual processes/QA
- Experience building or consuming web video players (e.g. hls.js, shaka-player, Bitmovin, JW Player)
- Experience with live video systems
- Experience with Twitch, either as a viewer or creator
- Experience working with hardware manufacturers of Living Room devices (e.g. Google, Apple, Microsoft, Sony, and LG)
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.
Software and Programming