Are you a linguist with technical aptitude? Or are you an engineer with a passion for languages and linguistics? Come and join the Alexa Home Productivity (AHP) team, which builds the speech and language solution behind Echo and other Amazon services, which make Alexa an ideal service to simplify life - helping families stay organized and connected to each other and making life run a little more smoothly. From setting timers while cooking to checking daily schedules and waking up to Alexa's alarm tone, we help customers manage their time more easily using their voice.
We are seeking a candidate with strong analytical skills and linguistics / language technology experience to help us measure, analyze and solve complex problems. In this role, you will deep dive into linguistic problems affecting Alexa and act as the voice of the customer by uncovering patterns of when Alexa fails to understand or respond appropriately to customer utterances.
Key job responsibilities
• Own data analyses for a domain of customer-facing features, including launch go/no-go metrics for new features and accuracy metrics for existing features
• Research linguistic errors in Alexa's language understanding to drive improvements
• Present reports to stakeholders on findings
• Coordinate with developers who build Language Understanding artifacts to ensure high quality and good coverage
• Develop scripts and SQL queries to automate investigations
• Lead and evaluate changing dialog evaluation conventions, test tooling developments, and pilot processes to support expansion to new data areas
• Handle unique language data analysis requests from a range of stakeholders, including quantitative and qualitative analyses to elevate customer experience with speech interfacesBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, or Statistics
• Experience with database queries like SQL
• Experience with a scripting language like Python
• Experience working with speech and/or language data
• Experience communicating research findings and analysis in both written and spoken channels
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
• Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessaryPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's in a related field, or equivalent work experience
• 1+ years' experience in a position involving extensive quantitative research using data analysis tools such as SQL, Python, R, etc.
• Fluency in multiple non-english languages
• Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
• Experience with process design and documentation
• Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Community and Social Services Science