LSO 3 DPE - Senior Environmental Protection Officer Position Classification
LSO 3 -Designated Profssnl Eng Union
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Prince George, BC V2N4P7 CA
Smithers, BC V0J 2N0 CA
Williams Lake, BC V2G 5M1 CASalary Range
$68,008.54 - $89,330.28 annually plus 6.5% Recruitment and Retention Adjustment (plus $32.89Bi-weekly Isolation Allowance Smithers) Close Date
1/26/2022 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Env & Climate Change Strategy Ministry Branch / Division
Environmental Protection Regional Operations Branch Job Summary Senior Environmental Protection Officer
Licensed Science Officer (Designated Professional Engineer) 3
Due to present physical distancing requirements related to COVID-19, the recruitment process for this competition may take place virtually.
This positionmay be performed from any of the following communities: Smithers, Prince George, Williams Lake subject to operational requirements and constraints at the time of offer.
An eligibility list may be established.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required by November 22, 2021. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated Professional Engineer
The Senior Environmental Protection Officer provides authoritative and professional advice to others on the Environmental Management Act and the management of industrial, municipal, agriculture and hazardous waste. You will lead regional environmental protection planning processes to build consensus among stakeholders including industry, local government, and First Nations.
In this role, you will develop, administer and ensure compliance with authorizations, orders and waste management plans to ensure effective management of waste discharges into the environment. This position may be accountable for reviewing and approving the work of Professional Engineers.
To learn more about these B.C communities you can click on the Hello BC link here!
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more . Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken astaken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top offour (4)weeks annual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For advice and guidance on applying and/or preparing for an interview for this opportunity, we invite applicants to connect with the Indigenous Applicant Advisor Amanda by email: IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
or by phone: 778-698-1336.
We are currently recruiting for a position on the Authorizations North in the Regional Operations Branch. However, an eligibility list may be established for similar position on this and other teams in the Regional Operations Branch. For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Peter.Lawrie@gov.bc.ca DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE
: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet theeducation, experience and professional designation requirementas outlined below:
- Master's Degree in Environmental Engineering or a related field and three (3) years of related* experience; OR
- Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Engineering Degree and five (5) years of related* experience.
- Registered in good standing, or eligible for immediate* registration, as a professional engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia (EGBC).
- *Immediately eligible means you are a fully licensed registered professional engineer in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can be immediately transferred to EGBC.
*Related experience may include a combination of:
- Experience related to environmental protection and Industrial and/or municipal waste management, such as:
- Reduction, recycling, treatment and disposal technologies.
- Environmental and/or compliance monitoring, assessments and internal and external reporting related to waste discharges.
- Developing and/or implementing environmental management planning processes such as airshed management planning, waste hierarchy and waste prevention applied to industrial and/or municipal operations for different waste streams.
- Environmental risk management, risk mitigation methods and principles (hierarchy of controls, etc.)
- Investigations, reporting and management of environmental emergencies including hazardous waste spills, incidents and accidents
- Emergency and /or spill response, hazardous waste and contaminated sites management.
- Project management and continuous improvement applied on multiple environmental management projects or initiatives.
- Working with operators, supervisors, executives and clients from a diverse background to develop and implement environmental management programs.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Experience with regulatory administration of waste discharges to the environment
- Experience in liaison with environmental regulatory agencies.
- Experience working with the BC Environmental Management Act.
- Experience working on air quality issues and industrial air emission projects.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC)will berequired.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Professional Designation - YES
Please include your registration number withthe Engineers and Geoscientists BC (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia)within your applicationas you must be registered orimmediatelyeligible for registration as a fully licensed Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Association .If you are not yet registered with Engineers and Geoscientists BC, please explain how you are immediately eligible(i.e. currently a fully licensed Registered Professional Engineer member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediatelytransfer to Engineers and Geoscientists BC ).Cover Letter: YES -
A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE)
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.Job Category
Scientific and Technical