Are you passionate about enabling millions of customers around the world to buy anything, anywhere, anytime? Can you run large cross-team projects? Are you equally comfortable digging into business requirements and building relationships with other leaders, as drilling into architecture with development teams? Do you want to take the best e-commerce system in the world to the next level?
The Vancouver Ordering Software team, part of eCommerce Services at Amazon, owns backend services that power Amazon eCommerce platform, handling millions of Orders world-wide is growing and we're looking just for you! We're at the intersection of software that can never go down and need to move at agile, internet speed. We're at the hub of Amazon's massive, worldwide service-oriented architecture. You will be responsible for large, multi-year initiatives, while finding the right balance between building for immediate needs and building sustainable architectures.
You will lead multiple software development teams to meet challenging goals, and will help us continuously make our systems ready for our current and future challenges. As we build, grow, and scale Amazon's ordering system, it will be critical for you to be customer obsessed, able to dive into technical details, and insist on high standards. You will be a key player in driving the growth of Amazon's Consumer business by enabling more and more business to onboard to the most sophisticated and scalable eCommerce platform in the world. You will drive future solutions that will impact how we run the Consumer business worldwide, and interface with many teams, both technical and non-technical, across the company, and - most importantly - you'll get to work with some awesome people having a lot of fun!
A successful candidate will have an established background in developing scalable systems, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, and love working to develop leaders in a growing organization. Are you up for the challenge? We hope you join us!
Key job responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall systems development life cycle
- Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map/action plan
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- 15+ years of professional software development experience
- 10+ years of management experience of running software development teams.
- 5+ years of management experience of running multiple software development teams through other leaders
- 10+ years of experience running large scale systems and contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience in building teams ground up
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming