Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have ambitious goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to lead architecture and development for our Android apps for phones. This role is a mix of 70% hands on coding and development, and 30% leadership, architecture and mentoring. In this role you will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to the future of Amazon Photos on the Android platform. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged.
Key job responsibilities
- Architect, design, develop and deploy new features for our Android apps, working with multiple back-end teams
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing Android apps.
- Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
- Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
- Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
- Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team members on their appropriate application
- Help define and implement standards and promote best practices for the Android development team
- Analyze and optimize applications to maximize speed and scale, factoring in mobile network latency and bandwidth constraints.
About the team
Amazon Photos helps everyday photographers and pros alike preserve and re-live a lifetime of memories. We're passionate technology professionals, photographers and photo enthusiasts who are genuinely excited about how we can make preserving and re-living digital photographs a simple joy. We're a close-knit team of friendly, collaborative people who love working together and having fun together.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
- Extensive knowledge of Android development techniques and practices.
- Experience in Kotlin
- Experience with multi-threading and mobile device memory management.
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming