Alexa AI, the speech processing and personal assistant technology behind Amazon Echo, is seeking a Software Development Engineer for our Datalake organization, based out of Amazon's state-of-the-art Kendall Square/Cambridge, Massachusetts Development Center. In SAIF Data, we build the data services that enable the fast, secure, and massive scale ML that delivers delightful Alexa interactions to users.
Key job responsibilities
* Solve distributed systems problems at Alexa scale.
* Design, implement, and operate large scale 24x7 services using Java, Python, and AWS services such as EC2, S3, Kinesis, Lambda, DynamoDB, and many more.
* Collaborate with AWS solutions architects and other software engineers. Our team is the largest customer of several AWS offerings in the world, and we are constantly testing the limits of those offerings.
* Provide technical guidance on software design, architecture, patterns and practices.
* Help your team self-organize and create software development processes and practices that will work best for you and your teammates.
* Build relationships with your customers, partner teams, and the engineers on your team.
About the team
The SAIF Datalake org is responsible for storing all of the data used by Alexa's applied scientists and machine learning engineers to build and improve customer experience. We host one of Amazon's largest data lakes, and are constantly challenged by the scale at which we must ingest and store data. We are just starting to build the next generation of our data lake to improve data throughput and reduce latency of data delivery to allow for advances in model development by the Alexa ML community. We are looking for software leaders who are excited about building scalable platforms that can directly improve the delivery of all of the work done by Alexa's engineering and science organizations.
The Datalake Query team owns the APIs that are surfaced to Alexa Datalake's internal customers, including domain teams (music, weather) that store data in the datalake and applied science teams that retrieve data from the datalake. The team is redesigning its API layer to handle future use-cases that require storing and retrieving data at a massive scale. It is critical that team members can Think Big as they translate detailed customer requirements into generic platform capabilities given the team has several hundred internal customer teams.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education.
- 1+ years of professional experience in software development.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design.
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures.
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, or Java.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming