AWS Cloud Map is looking for a Software Development Manager (SDM) to drive implementation of our vision of making Cloud Map one-stop shop for discovering all resources in the cloud. Today Cloud Map team owns highly available and scalable service discovery solution that allow customers to discover their resources at runtime, define custom names for resources, and maintain updated location of these dynamically changing resources. As a foundational service that our customers take critical dependency on, Cloud Map guarantees low latencies, world-class "five nines" of availability, and serve millions of transactions per second.
We're looking for someone who enjoys motivating and growing people. Executing through your team is the most important part of this role.
As a successful candidate, you understand software development. You've kept your technical skills current, to the point where you contribute to architecture discussions and help your team identify and reduce risks in projects. You regularly take part in troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues. AWS operates large-scale, mission critical workloads, so you must be comfortable taking responsibility for the operational excellence of your service.
Finally, you're excited by the opportunity to learn about and help solve our customers' challenges. In order to break new ground, we'll need to resolve ambiguity and take calculated risks You have a record of delivery and are comfortable managing not only your own roadmap, but also projects involving multiple team across AWS. You can organize disparate teams around a common goal. You know how to make data-driven decisions about your operations, your processes, and your team's performance.
To learn more about AWS Cloud Map, visit https://aws.amazon.com/cloud-map/.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
• Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 7+ years' experience in system software development and delivery
• 3+ years' experience building, leading, managing and mentoring high-performance engineering teams
• Experience with object-oriented design and implementation (Java, and/or C++), preferably on Linux
• Experience building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systemsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others' ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions, including effective written communication skills
• Demonstrated experience employing Agile development practices such as Scrum and Kanban
• Ability to audit and provide constructive feedback on technical designs, code, project plans, and project execution
• Experience building production distributed systems, as an engineer or manager
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming