Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) is an industry-leading web service that makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud.More information on Amazon RDS is available at http://aws.amazon.com/rds
We are looking for a seasoned senior software engineering manager to lead our engineering teams in Vancouver, B.C for the AWS RDS Metadata team, within the Platform organization. The team is in charge of providing support for all tasks related to shared control plane state. The activities of the team include responsibility for the health of the shared control plane state, oncall, monitoring, tooling, and performance management, deployment of configuration changes, patching, performance fixes, region expansion of the service, development to enabling of decoupling apis that access this shared state and increase support ownership.
You will be playing a key role in solving challenging problems in distributed systems, secure multi-tenancy, concurrency, scale, availability, durability, and performance engineering. You will hire and manage a high performing team, and provide the team with guidance, mentoring and leadership. Likewise, you will establish the developmental and operational best practices for the team. Furthermore, you will collaborate closely with cross-functional leadership to ensure your solution contract and functionality aligns with the broader objective.
Key job responsibilities
Hire and Build a High performing team
Think Big, Innovate and build strategy for the team
Influence broader direction of the product
Execute projects and deliver results for the team
Be customer obsessed and solve important problems for the customers.
A day in the life
You will work with other technology teams to build out join collaborative roadmap.
Monitor and support project execution of the team.
Monitor the health of the service and chart out improvement backlog for the service.
Work with your team to investigate and propose projects to improve the service architecture and productivity.
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy providing one-on-one mentoring and coaching to newer or more junior team members. We care about your career growth and strive to assign scope based on what will help you grow as a leader, and help each of your team members develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
- Desire to work in a highly-collaborative environment focused on user experience and user delight
- Experience taking projects from scoping requirements through launch of the project.
- Experience in applying open-source technologies.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies like scrum.
- Experience with rapid prototyping and evaluation of customer applications.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment such as with multiple priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming