WSP is currently seeking a Mechanical Team Lead to join our Resources team in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Manager, this position will be required to lead and execute the mechanical engineering efforts for the growing Resources team as well as provide management and oversight to local Mechanical Engineering team in Saskatoon.
As a Mechanical Engineer within the Resources team, you will work on both new construction and brownfield projects. The Resources team provides services to mining, industrial, manufacturing, institutional and government clients. You will apply your mechanical engineering design knowledge on project work from conceptual design and studies through to project completion. Effective communication, technical quality, cost-effectiveness, building and maintaining client relationships, and providing guidance to a team of engineers and designers are integral parts of this role.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy - we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Take responsibility for ensuring that WSP Project procedures are utilized on all projects.
- Providing specialist guidance in the design and delivery of complex engineering projects within the Mechanical discipline
- Provide leadership to mechanical team to ensure effective team development and performance
- Complete feasibility studies and technical report writing.
- Support the planning, scheduling, cost control activities in the design as related to the Project Plan
- Responsible for reviewing and stamping drawings (as required), using experience in interpreting design codes and regulatory requirements.
- Establishing scope of work for each project or proposal
- Scheduling and expediting work of the mechanical department
- Supervising an engineering group involved in the conception, planning and development of engineering design, projects, processes, proposals, and estimates
- Guiding through to completion in accordance with the schedule and budget on assigned major project of high technical complexity
- Assisting in the negotiation of critical engineering issues
- Implementing, and maintaining existing and new design standards, guides, and procedures
- Assigning and reviewing work of subordinate design engineering staff
- Define scope and create WBS
- Verify scope with client and follow procedures to monitor and control changes on project
- Work with disciplines to understand the cost and schedule impact of changes
- Accountable for establishing basic design criteria for the project with the client;
- Advocate the usage of and confirm compliance with all of the client and corporate procedures
- Expected to work with all levels of the organization in a cohesive manner.
What you'll bring to WSP: KEY COMPETENCIES
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Able to communicate, understand, express and apply basic technical, business or administrative concepts.
- Superior organizational and time-management skills; ability to meet deadlines.
- Decision and problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to multi-task and efficiently respond to changing priorities.
- Accepts coaching, knowledge and support from more experienced staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Define and steward the commitment to Health and Safety on the projects
- Adhere to the defined Corporate objectives; brief and assist subordinates with understanding, and provide linked sub-objectives that have applicability to their work
- Meeting targets and deadlines
- Achievement of individual business objectives
- Seek out assistance and ask questions of company leaders and experts
- Lead by example and promote a positive environment rooted in communication, ownership and camaraderie
- Maintain an open-mind when receiving constructive feedback and apply recommendations towards self-improvement.
- Build and maintain WSP's brand/reputation both internally and externally.
- 10-20 years of experience in a consulting environment focused on Mining and/or Industrial clients
- People management/mentorship experience.
- Be fluent in the English language with excellent verbal and written communication skills with working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs,
- Member or eligible to be a member of APEGS as a professional engineer in Saskatchewan;
- Working knowledge of CSA standards, ANSI standards, ASME standards, and other applicable codes;
- Must be able to attend industrial sites and observe all applicable safety regulations;
- Project experience in mills, smelters, mines, industrial sites, infrastructure, refinery, ports, material handling, pulp and paper is beneficial;
- Experience with renewable energy systems a benefit;
- Must possess a valid driver's license;
- Must possess a team player attitude and be able to work in project team environment;
- Ability to communicate in French language is an asset.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.